Skip to main content

Full text of "Landmarks and pioneers : an address / by William Thornton Whitsett."

See other formats


ELON COLLEGE LIBRAHX 



Class. Book W & (. Zw. 




Elon College, North Carolina 




ELQ.N COLLEGE USM* 1 



ffit» miMB LIBRARY 



WHITSETT HISTORICAL MONOGRAPHS - No. 1 



LANDMARKS AND PIONEERS 



AN ADDRESS 



By William Thornton Whitsett, Ph. D. 



ELON COLLEGE UBiLMi 
TEN CENTS PER COPY 



FOR SALE BY 
PUBLISHERS "SABER AND SONG' 

WHITSETT, N. C. 



10 US 




Copyright, 1925 
by 

William Thornton Whitsett 



All rights reserved. 



Compliments of 

THE AUTHOR 



[ 


Digitized by 


the Internet Archive 






in 2014 







https://archive.org/details/landmarksandpion01whit 



LANDMARKS AND PIONEERS. 



(By William Thornton Whitsett.) 

(Extracts from an address deliver- 
ed at St. Pauls Lutheran church, near 
Burlington, N. C, at the historical 
celebration Sunday, August 16, 1925.) 

Earliest Information About North 
Carolina. 

It may always be interesting to re- 
call the first knowledge that was ob- 
tained by white people about this 
particular part of our country. All 
intelligent people in Europe were 
awake to the news of the New World 
soon after its discovery in 1492 by 
Columbus. As the years passed more 
definite information was secured 
through various agencies. We can 
note only a part: Sir Walter Ral- 
eigh's expedition of 1584; John Law- 
son's travels in 1700; various explor- 
ers and expeditions at different early 
^ dates, and more especially for this 
^) part of central North Carolina, the 
^ results following the settlement at 
Jamestown, Va., in 1607. The ques- 
^ tion as to why the people of the 
Lutheran, Reformed and Moravian 
faiths came into central North Car- 
olina is in part answered when we 
learn how they secured information 
of this particular territory. Luth- 
eran and Reformed people were pour- 
ing into this Alamance-Guilford-Ran- 
dolph section from 1720 on to 1770, 
and during this fifty year period 
thousands came for permanent set- 
tlement. Moravians came in 1753 
and in large numbers in the years 
after, making settlements in adjoin- 
ing Forsyth county to the west. How 
did all these people learn of this fa- 
vored section? Certainly they did 
not come blindly without any pre- 
vious knowledge of their destination. 
All these — Reformed, Lutheran and 
Moravian — were originally from the 
same section of Europe; closely re- 



lated by habits, kinship, occupations 
and religious teachings and ideals. 
The information possessed by one 
branch was the common property of 
all. These early North Carolina 
settlers came in most part from that 
region known as "The Palatinate," 
which country lay on both sides of 
the Rhine river, sections now belong- 
ings to Bavaria and Baden. As loyal 
Protestants they had suffered terrible 
persecutions. In 1622 the chief Pa- 
latinate city. Heidelberg, was burn- 
ed by General Tilly, and the immense 
University library robbed of its treas- 
ures. Their only sin was their Pro- 
testantism. If we may believe the 
great historian, Seckendorf, the great- 
er number of Palatines were Luther- 
ans. From such a stock as this came 
the North Carolina settlements of 
the Lutheran, the Reformed and the 
Moravian people. To remain in Eur- 
ope and believe in the Augsburg or 
the Heidelberg confessions of faith 
was simply to court a violent death. 
No wonder, then, that all information 
about the advantages of the New 
World was eagerly desired. Some of 
these sources we know well; let us 
now learn about one of whom we 
seldom hear, but who by the knowl- 
edge he spread of this region exerted 
much influence in determining the 
trend of these earlier settlements. 

John Lederer in North Carolina, 
1669-1670. 

On December 19, 1607, the vessel, 
Susan Constant, commanded by Cap- 
tain Christopher Newport, a craft of 
one hundred tons burden, sailed from 
England, and on May 13, 1607, land- 
ed at Point Comfort, pushed on forty 
miles up the river which they named 
the James after King James, and laid 
the foundations for the first perma- 
net English settlement in the New 
World at Jamestown, Va. Later 
Capt. John Smith was made presi- 
dent of the colony, and did much to 



make it a success. In 1608 Capt. 
Smith made a map after exploration, 
wrote a short account of the coun- 
try, and sent them to England. Capt. 
Smith was followed in his rule of the 
colony by Lord Delaware, by Sir 
Thomas Dale, and in 1649, after the 
execution of King Charles I, Sir Wil- 
liam Berkeley was made governor 
of Virginia. 

John Lederer, a Lutheran from the 
Palatinate, had come into the colo- 
ny about 1660. He was a good Latin 
scholar, and well posted for his day 
on geographical matters. He soon 
attracted attention by his ability, and 
Governor Berkeley selected him to 
lead an expedition for further explo- 
rations. Three expeditions were 
sent out during 1669-1670 to explore 
the regions that lay south and west 
of the James river. Dr. Hawks, the 
historian tells us: "Berkeley commis- 
sioned Lederer to make explorations, 
and three several expeditions were 
made. The first, from the head of 
York river due west; the second from 
the falls of the James west and 
southwest, which brought him into 
Carolinas; the third from the falls 
of the Rappahannock westward to- 
wards the mountains." He passed 
through North Carolina, and into 
South Carolina, as far south as the 
Santee river. At this time there were 
two small colonies in eastern North 
Carolina, one on Albemarle sound, 
the other on Clarendon (now Cape 
Fear) river. No whites were in 
Scuth Carolina. Lederer's journal of 
his travels written in Latin was 
translated by Sir William Talbot, 
Governor of Maryland who praises 
the literary ability of Lederer. Gov. 
Talbot published Lederer's journal of 
his explorations. Lederer's start is 
thus described by himself in his jour- 
nal: "The 20th of May, 1670, one 
Maj. Harris and myself, with twenty 
Christian horse (horsemen) and five 



Indians marched from the falls of 
the James river in Virginia towards 
the Monakins, and on the 22nd we 
were welcomed by them with vol- 
leys of shot. * * * Here inquiring of 
them the way to the mountains, an 
ancient man described with a staff 
two paths on the ground. * * * The 
3rd of June we came to the south 
branch of the James river." Space 
forbids further quotation from this 
most interesting description of con- 
ditions in 1670. 

John Lederer's explorations in 
1669-1670 when known through his 
journal which as stated was pub- 
lished by Sir William Talbot after 
translation from the Latin in which 
it was written must have exerted 
great influence upon those back in 
Europe who were looking and longing 
for a home in the New World. The 
fine climate, the wonderful oppor- 
tunities ,and the hope of greater 
religious freedom, turned many eyes 
in this direction, and in 1680 only 
ten years later a tide of emigration 
to America began which during the 
decades following drew tens of thous- 
ands to these shores from the very 
region from which John Lederer him- 
self had come. Beyond doubt, Le- 
derer's journal was the prime cause 
for hundreds of Lutheran, Reformed 
and Moravian people turning their 
eyes to that land "south and south- 
west of the James" that we now 
know as Piedmont North Carolina. 
True history seeks for causes and 
effects ,and it seems strange that so 
few historians even mention such 
men as John Lederer, Louis Mitch- 
ell, John Lawson, Col. William Byrd, 
and others who wrote journals of 
exploration and accounts of condi- 
tions as they found them in this 
Western World in the earlier days. 
These early accounts were powerful 
in their effect in turning the atten- 
tion of home seekers to the re- 



gions described. Nothing- could be 
more convincing than the words of an 
eye witness, and Lederer's account 
carried weight for this reason. We 
have no doubt that many a man sit- 
ting by his Rhine river fireside hun- 
dreds and hundreds of miles away 
was fired with the desire and the de- 
termination to find his permanent 
home in Piedmont Carolina by the 
glowing accounts of some of these 
earliest explorers. The turmoils of 
European governments, especially the 
evils outgrowing from the Thirty 
Years' War (1618-1648) forced sober- 
thinking men to look for more desir- 
able homes. Many a home was final- 
ly established on the Yadkin, the 
Catawba, the Haw, and the Eno, 
because of the information spread 
by John Lederer and others who like 
him braved a trip into new and 
hitherto unexplored territories. 

We can never know just how much 
influence was exerted by the reports 
of these earliest explorers, but we 
do know that settlements rapidly 
followed. Without going into partic- 
ulars we may mention settlements 
as follows: The Dutch Lutherans on 
James Island, South Carolina, in 
1674; the Palatinate colony at New 
Bern, N. C, in 1710; the Swiss at 
Purysburg, S. C, in 1732, and at 
Orangeburg, S. C, in 1735, followed 
by the Saxe-Gotha settlement in Lex- 
ington county, S. C, in 1737. Then 
came many others among them the 
Lutheran colony in Abbeville county, 
S. C, in 1763-'64. While these Luth- 
erans were coming in such numbers, 
the Reformed people were also pour- 
ing in, and the Moravians at Savan- 
nah in the years between 1735 and 
1740, and then that splendid Mora- 
vian effort at Wachovia (now Salem, 
N. C.) in Forsyth county in 1753, af- 
ter the purchase by Bishop August 
Gottlieb Spangenburg of nearly one 
hundred thousand acres of land, from 



Lord Granville's part of the interest 
he held in the lands owned by the 
"Lords Proprietors of the Carolinas." 
When this exploring party consist- 
ing of Bishop Spangenberg, Lord 
Granville's surveyor, William Chur- 
ton, and others came through what 
is now Alamance and Guilford coun- 
ties in 1752 seeking desirable loca- 
tion for the Moravian colony they 
found what is now Alamance and 
Guilford counties, or rather what is 
now located between Greensboro and 
Hillsboro already occupied by the 
homes of Lutheran and Reformed 
settlers who were still pouring into 
this section by the hundreds every 
year. Bishop Spangenberg records 
in his journal on September 25, 1752, 
this observation: "Having crossed the 
length and breadth of North Carolina 
we have found that towards the 
mountaains (now Alamance, Guil- 
ford &c.) many families are moving 
in from Virginia, Maryland, Penn- 
sylvania, New Jersey and even New 
England; in this year alone more 
than four hundred families have 
come with horses, wagon and cattle. 
Among them sturdy farmers and 
skilled men and we hope they will 
greatly help Carolina." 
Interesting Events in Local History. 

The student of history can find 
much to reward his efforts in the 
particular locality in and arou-nd this 
church. This St. Pauls Lutheran 
church, located here in southern Ala- 
mance county, N. C, was long known 
as "Grave's Church" because of the 
original ownership of lands on which 
h is located. Although the church 
now possesses only eight acres of 
•and, originally there were sixty 
acres in the church tract. The early 
settlers gathered for worship on or 
near these grounds many years be- 
fore any formal church organization 
took place. They were directed in 
their worship by devout and conse- 



crated men and women of their own 
number, and by occasional visiting 
mission preachers and workers of 
their own, and other denominations. 
The first formal organization took 
place in 1773. 

We forget too easily our debt to 
the past. "The pyramids themselves, 
doting with age, have forgotten the 
names of their founders." What we 
term the present is only an out- 
growth of the past. Yonder splendid 
ancient rock wall, surrounding Si. 
Paul's cemetery, and enclosing a 
space of near two acres is silent wit- 
ness to the great and patient indus- 
try of those who slumber within its 
sacred enclosure. Thousands of dol- 
lars would not today equal or re- 
place this wall, still it was built 
more than a century ago, and even 
tradition fails to keep the names of 
the willing hands that must have la- 
bored so long and faithfully to erect 
it. Travel far and wide and one will 
seek long to find so workman-like 
and enduring a piece of work as 
this fine work in stone. Let us not 
forget, "Dies diem docet" (one day 
teaches the other) and as the Earl of 
Shannon has said: "Vivit post 
funera" (virtue lasts beyond the si- 
lent grave.) 

Settlers came into this and all the 
surrounding regions in great num- 
bers beginning in 1720, and continu- 
ing in increasing numbers until 
about 1770 when the tide of immigra- 
tion ceased on account of the brew- 
ing troubles that culminated in the 
Revolutionary War. These settlers 
brought with them their religious 
ideals, and their Protestant zeal. At 
first one place, and one house of wor- 
ship served for both the Lutheran 
and the Reformed people, but as soon 
as they were able, they separated for 
worship upon different locations. 



There were no quarrel^ or disagree- 
ment^ as is sometimes supposed to 
have been the case; nothing of this 
kind, simply on the other hand each 
denomination became able to look out 
for its own interests. The Reformed 
people went to Old Stoner's church, 
now unhappily a forsaken and de- 
serted spot, and also to Der Klapp 
Kirche which became later known 
as the present Brick church, and 
which was in the earliest day called 
"The Church on Beaver Creek" as 
referred to in the earliest records in 
our possession. Original church re- 
cords still survive as kept by their 
very first religious leader, Rev. Sam- 
uel Suther, a name well-known 
among the Revolutionary records of 
the Reformed people of North Car- 
olina. Some assumed historians have 
gone so far as to state that Whig 
and Tory differences between the 
Lutheran and the Reformed people 
account for separations; such is not 
the case; and a magnificent record 
for loyalty to the cause of freedom 
and liberty can be reliably establish- 
ed beyond any question for both de- 
nominations. If there be any other 
minister in all American history 
who attempted the wonderful work 
with his entire denomination that 
was attempted and so successfull 
carried out by Henry M. Muhlen- 
berg beginning his efforts in 1743, 
we have been unable to find record 
of such. Rev. Henry M. Muhlenberg 
attempted and largely succeeded in 
stirring up the entire American 
Lutheran Church to foresee the com- 
ing war of the Revolution, and to 
take a bold and resolute stand for 
independence. Those unfamiliar with 
his work and his successful efforts 
will be astonished to read his record 
in the quarter century that went be- 



fore the Revolutionary War. His 
work and his success in his patriot- 
ic efforts constitute an imperishable 
record for the loyalty and patriot- 
ism of the Lutheran Church in the 
Revolutionary War. If it has any 
parallel we fail to recall it. Certain- 
ly a people who have been native 
to the soil of North Carolina and of 
these United States for 200 years, 
and who helped set up the very 
Temple of Liberty itself may justly 
claim to be classed as genuine, and 
original American citizens. No well- 
informed student of American his- 
tory can deny this claim. There is 
glory enough for all in the story 
of the winning of American Inde- 
pendence in those days of 1771 to 
1781, but American Lutheranism de- 
serves its full portion based upon 
the undeniable facts and records of 
history. 

St. Pauls and Adjoining Sister 
Churches. 

In 1801 St. Pauls became wholly 
Lutheran; at that date the Reformed 
people ceased to worship in con- 
nection with this congregation. In 
1803 St. Pauls church, joined with 
her near neighbors, Friedens church, 
and LoAv's church in helping to form 
the North Carolina Synod, the very 
oldest Southern Synodical body. This 
present building was erected in 1893; 
two buildings have stood here be- 
fore this. St. Pauls once owned a 
one-half interest in the Friedens 
church parsonage; this was sold, and 
the connection severed with Fried- 
ens; it is now a part of the Guilford 
pastorate. Well-known early pastors 
here have been Rev. Charles Eber- 
hard Bernhardt, Rev. Philip Henkel, 
Rev. Ludwig Markert, Rev. Jacob 
Scherer, Rev. William Artz, Rev. 
John D. Sheck, Rev. Samuel Roth- 
rock, Rev. Chas. H. Bernheim, Rev. 
Whitson Kimball, Re. E. P. Parker, 



Rev. Charles B. Miller and Rev. H. 
M. Brown which brings us down to 
recent days. 

Just over yonder hills at Low's 
church the following Lutheran min- 
isters have been licensed to preach: 
Rev. Michael Rauch, 1812; Rev. John 
Yost Meetze, 1812; Rev. John W. 
Meyer, 1812; Rev. Philip Roth, 1812; 
Rev. Jacob Miller, 1812; Rev. Adam 
Grimes, 1821; Rev. Andrew See- 
christ, 1821; Rev. John Reichert, 
1821; Rev. William Artz, 1830; Rev. 
David P. Rosenmiller, 1830; Rev. Ja- 
cob Kaempffer, 1830; Rev. J. H. Fes- 
perman, 1868; Rev. R. L. Brown, 
1868; Rev. W. R. Ketchie, 1868. At 
Lew's church ordination services 
have been held as follows: Rev. Ja- 
cob Schersr, 1812; Rev. John P. 
Franklow, 1812; Rev. Daniel Scherer, 
1821; Rev. Martin Walther, 1821; 
while at Friedens church with which 
pastorate this St. Pauls was once 
connected there have been either li- 
censed or ordained the following 
Lutheran ministers: Rev. Daniel 
Scherer and Rev. Daniel Walcher, in 
1816; Rev. James P. Sikes, 1861; Rev. 
E. P. Parker, 1872; Rev. W. J. Smith, 
and Rev. B. S. Brown, in 1878; and 
at Burlington in Macedonia church 
only a few miles north, Rev. C. L. 
Miller and Rev. G. A. Riser, in 1898. 

The following Lutheran ministers 
are buried near here, as follows: 
Rev. Philip Henkel, at Richlands 
church; Rev. Bryant C. Hall and Rev. 
Jacob Greeson, at Lows church; and 
Rev. E. P. Parker, Rev. Simeon 
Scherer, and Rev. James R. Sikes at 
Friedens church. 

Rev. C. E. Bernhardt, well-known 
early Lutheran minister came into 
this St. Pauls territory in 1789 and 
labored here until 1809, when he left 
for work in South Carolina. 

Rev. Adolph Nussman, who began 
his work as the pioneer Lutheran 
minister of North Carolina in 1773, 



labored and traveled over a wide ter- 
ritory, often more than one hundred 
miles from his home, and his mis- 
sionary work brought him into this 
very community, and over this sur- 
rounding territory. In this work he 
was joined by Rev. John G. Arndt, 
who came over from the mother 
country as a teacher, but became a 
minister on account of the pres- 
sure for more ministers in the wide 
territory to be covered. 

This church, St. Pauls, also came 
under the influence of the well- 
known Scherer family, one of the 
most notable in all the history of the 
Lutheran church in this State. Here 
on these grounds labored once Rev. 
Jacob Scherer, later his son, Rev. 
Simeon Scherer. Beginning in 1810, 
the arduous labors of Rev. Jacob 
Scherer placed this field of the Luth- 
eran Church in the very forefront of 
the work in the entire State. From 
this same local Scherer family has 
gone out a grandson of Rev. Jacob 
Scherer to occupy one of the very 
highest offices in the power of the 
church to give; Rev. M. G. G. Scher- 
er, D. D., general secretary of the 
United Lutheran Church in Amer- 
ica with headquarters in New York 
City. 

Lutherans in North Carolina, United 
States, Etc. 
As we today recall the coming of 
Rev. Adolph Nussman and the teach- 
er-preacher Rev. John D. Arndt to 
North Carolina in 1773, marking the 
beginning of organized church effort 
in the Old North State, we natur- 
ally look to see what progress has 
been made from that date down to 
1925. Today the Lutheran Church 
has in North Carolina one hundred 
and ten active ministers, and a mem- 
bership of about thirty thousand. In 
these United States she has eighteen 
different bodies of Lutherans with 
a total membership for 1924 as given 



by Dr. Carroll in the Year Book for 
1925 (See page 63) of 2,465,841. 
Taking the entire world in view, 
the Lutheran Church today has from 
sixty to seventy millions of souls 
under her spiritual care, and from 
thirty to forty millions enrolled as 
communicants at her altars. Accord- 
ing to Dr. Carroll's careful figures 
there are in the United States forty- 
six denominations with a less mem- 
bership than the Lutheran Church, 
and only three denominations that 
exceed her enrollment. (See page 63, 
Year Book.) For the United States 
alone the total benevolence of the 
Lutheran Church exceeds ten mil- 
lions yearly; and the total expendi- 
tures exceeds forty millions yearly. 

One outstanding event in Luther- 
anism in North Carolina arose in 
1819, when the Tennessee Synod 
was formed from those withdrawing 
from the North Carolina Synod. Rev. 
Gottlieb Shober was the leader of 
those who remained with the North 
Carolina Synod, and Rev. David 
Henkel of those who formed the Ten- 
nessee Synod. Without going into a 
discussion of the course of events, 
the personal differences, the various 
views, that resulted in the separa- 
tion, doubtless, it resulted in greater 
efforts by both bodies with the gen- 
erous rivalry that resulted than would 
have been possible with no separa- 
tion. This separation is lost sight of 
in the great fact of the merging in 
1918 of the General Synod in the 
United States, the General Council, 
and the United Synod of the South, 
into the wonderful body now known 
as the United Lutheran Church in 
America. After living apart for 
more than fifty years, at one stroke 
they caught the spirit of the times, 
and united for larger activities. This 
fine action won more praise from the 
Christians of our country than any- 
thing that has ever occurred in the 



long- story of the Lutheran Church 
in these United States. Here was 
Muhlenberg's ideal at last coming to 
fruition, and an example set for oth- 
er great Christian bodies that are yet 
divided by minor differences. 
Lutherans as Revolutionary Patriots. 

This particular section of the 
country during the Revolutionary 
War affords an interesting study in 
the reaction of certain denominations 
to war and the bearing of arms. 
Here were Lutherans, Reformed, 
Friends or Quakers, and the Presby- 
terians. In the distinctive views of 
the Friends or Quakers outstanding 
ideas were: a refusal to take oath, 
lack of professional ministry, re- 
cognition of woman, and positive 
testimony against war and the bear- 
ing of arms. Hence, the Quaker 
preacher, Herman Husbands, who 
from 1765 to 1771 preached and ar- 
gued with these people was not found 
on the battle-field of Alamance on 
May 16, 1771, when shots were to be 
fired. Only a few miles west were 
the Moravians who also did not fight 
in the War of the Revolution but 
took the oath of allegiance to North 
Carolina, and the United States, and 
paid triple tax. If then the mother 
country was to be opposed by arms 
it remained for the Lutherans, the 
Reformed and the Presbyterian peo- 
ple to do the fighting. And they rose 
to the occasion and did it nobly! 
Their church grounds became meeting 
places for the militant, and their pul- 
pits sounded the calls to arms. The 
names of these Piedmont Lutherans 
were signed to the Petitions of Griev- 
ance sent to Gov. Wm. Tryon, and 
they were, almost without exception, 
patriots. It was the spirit of Luth- 
eranism — freedom from oppression. 
At Charleston, S. C, in old St. Johns 
church, a company was raised whose 
captain fell at the siege of Savan- 



nah. Salisbury, N. C, Lutherans 
were patriots with Beard, Barringer, 
Beekam, Mull and others fighting for 
freedom. (See Wheeler's History.) 
From St. Johns church, Cabarrus 
county, N. C, one family furnished 
seven sons for the Revolution. Capt. 
John Paul Barringer remained at 
home to oppose the Tories. One or two 
Lutherans from this section signed 
the Mecklenburg Declaration. Rev. 
Christian Streitt, for his activities 
for freedom, was made a British 
prisoner. At Friedens, and Lows, 
both Lutheran churches; and at 
Stoners and Brick church, both Re- 
formed churches, there was co-op- 
eration always for the efforts of Al- 
amance, Haw Fields and Buffalo, all 
Presbyterian churches, looking to the 
success of the American colonies in 
their determination to be free, and 
to secure justice and liberty from 
England. Captain Peter Summers, 
who entered the War of the Revolu- 
tion as an eighteen year old boy, from 
Friedens Lutheran congregation, 
where he had joined as a charter 
member, and who rose to become cap- 
tain of the First North Carolina 
Battalion in the War of the Revolu- 
tion, giving to his country years of 
distinguished military service, is 
typical of the Lutherans of that day, 
and of the spirit that prevailed 
among them. 

These Lutherans had come into 
this region during the years from 
1720 to 1770, and in all these fifty 
years had no other thought but to 
make of this region their permanent 
home. They were ready with their 
material supplies, and with their arms 
and lives if necessary, to lend every 
possible help in the establishment of 
the new form of government, and to 
assist in wresting all power from the 
British government over the Amer- 
ican colonies. 

If there are any original Ameri- 



cans on our soil and in our land to- 
day, certainly these people who came 
here from one hundred and fifty to 
two hundred years ago, may claim 
to be among the original, and gen- 
uine American citizens. We would not 
detract in any measure from any 
glory due to any other of the early 
settlers, but too long has history 
neglected to pay just tribute, and ac- 
cord due place and recognition to the 
Lutherans from the Palatine region 
who became the first and original 
settlers of certain sections of North 
Carolina, taking the lands that be- 
came their homes direct in many 
cases from the hands of the Indians 
themselves. While they had no crit- 
icism to offer the two other faiths 
and denominations that were their 
close neighbors, still with the light 
of their conscience to guide them 
they were ready if need be to die 
for their faith in freedom's cause. 
These people had the faith of one 
of their own heroes, Muhlenberg. Let 
us see as to him. 

The House of Delegates in Vir- 
ginia in December, 1775, appointed 
Muhlenberg colonel of the Eighth 
Virginia Regiment. George Ban- 
croft says: "The command of another 
regiment was given to the Lutheran 
minister, Peter Muhlenberg, who left 
the pulpit to form out of his several 
congregations one of the most perfect 
battalions in the army." The Amer- 
ican poet, Thomas Buchanan Read, 
tells the story in vivid verse of how- 
pastor Muhlenberg in the church of 
Berkley Manor rose in his pulpit 
and so stirred his congregation that 
they then and there enlisted for the 
fight for freedom. 

"The text, a few short words of 
might — 

The Lord of Hosts shall arm the 
right." 



He spoke of wrongs too long endur- 
ed, 

Of sacred rights to be secured; 
Then from his patriot tongue of 
flame 

The startling words for Freedom 
came. 

"Who dares," — this was the patriot's 
cry, 

As striding from the desk he 
came — 

"Come out with me in Freedom's 
name, 

For her to live, for her to die?" 
A hundred hands flung up reply, 
A hundred voices answered "I." 

The humble Lutheran preacher, 
Peter Muhlenberg, became Brigadier 
General, then Major General; later 
a representative in the First, the 
Third and the Sixth Congress, and 
finally United States Senator from 
Pennsylvania. He won the approba- 
tion of his countrymen including 
Washington, Gates and Greene, and 
our gallant helper, LaFayette. 

No wonder that such societies as 
the Daughters of the American Rev- 
olution, and the Sons of the Amer- 
ican Revolution, are today carrying 
so many names of members who 
join by right of ancestry connecting 
them with the pioneer Luthern fam- 
ilies that contributed so largely to- 
wards the setting up of the American 
government in the years 1771-1781. 
These people had endured all the 
trials that gave to the world the 
Protestant Reformation of the 15th 
and 16th centuries, and they took 
their stand for civil and religious 
liberty in the spirit of their own Mar- 
tin Luther who had cried out: "Here 
I stand; I cannot do otherwise, so 
help me God!" Concerning liberty 
they sincerely felt: 

" 'Tis liberty alone that gives the 
flower 

Of fleeting life its lustre and per- 
fume." 



Date Due 



ggg P g jg 



4.1974 



PRINTED 



I MonufortureoTby I 
jOAYLORD BROS. Inc. | 



i Syracuse, N.Y. 
j Stockton, Collf. 



"ELON COLLEGE LIBRARY 
975.604 W617w, no. 1 
Whitsett, William Thornto 
Landmarks and pioneers : an ad 





7 





975.60)4 10115 




W6l7w 




no . 1 




Whitsett, William T 




Whitsett historical 




monographs 




200 



975.6014 1005 

W6l7w 
no .1 



HI 

mm